General Liability Insurance : High-risk end uses of your tech product or services that can cause some insurance underwriters to reject your application
We have listed below end uses of tech products and services considered to carry a high risk of litigation by most general liability insurance. Underwriters that specialize in insuring tech accounts. Unfortunately with high tech comes high risk so it is important for you to be fully aware of how your risk is viewed by General Liability insurance underwriters. Rejection is also not clear-cut and there may be in fact stipulations to specific instances. Nevertheless the core tenets behind declining the application would directly relate to what we have listed below.
- Environmental controls for heat, refrigeration, flame ignition or suppression
- Liquid level controls and pressure gauges
- Automated test equipment or process control equipment
- Manufacturing process/controls (robotics, factory automation, computer aided manufacturing)
- Critical parts of aircraft, autos, watercraft, trains, trucks or other transportation equipment or controls
- Athletic, medical or flotation equipment
- Safety or alarm equipment, systems, processes or parts (fire, security, emergency)
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) (This does not apply if you use CAD in designing computer systems. This question applies to when you sell CAD for use by your customers.)
- Scientific/weather (seismology, etc.)
- Utility/natural resource process (oil and gas, power, nuclear, waste disposal, etc.)
- Medical purposes (diagnostics, patient care, biotech, non-administrative)
This refers to medical/healthcare operations or equipment, not to associated business functions such as accounting, billing, appointment scheduling or general office management.
- Chemical processing
- Financial software (funds transfer, trading, financial modeling)
- Aerospace, aircraft
- Computer security system advice/product diagnostics, encryption, vulnerability assessments or penetration testing (This does not apply if you are merely systems integrator and install security system software manufactured by others. Example: firewall, anti-virus from Norton or McAfee.)
- Pollution, environmental testing and remediation
- Machinery/equipment control (control of operating/moving parts of machinery, equipment, toys or appliances)
- Military defense (weapons procurement, guidance systems, tracking, etc.)This refers to military/defense operations or applications (such as weapons procurement, ballistic missile technology) not to general office management such as general accounting or non-weapons, non-combat related procurement.
- Staffing for temporary employees who do not perform “tech related” services
- Gaming machines or programs
- Computer aided mapping services